Summer Farm and Garden Internship at Camp Treetops
Located in the Adirondacks in Lake Placid, NY, Camp Treetops (CTT) is a residential summer camp for children ages 8-14. Our 220-acre campus (also home to North Country School) features a working farm, organic gardens, and is surrounded by vast wilderness, all of which provide hands-on opportunities for learning, work, and growth. Summer Farm and Garden Interns participate in daily farm and garden work, learning the basics of organic vegetable and flower growing, as well as animal husbandry. Interns also work with CTT counselors to offer campers farm-related activities ranging from vegetable harvests and animal care to cooking and garden-inspired games. Combining learning and work with opportunities for creativity and leadership, the Summer Farm and Garden Internship is a great fit for someone who is passionate about farming and education, enjoys physical work and spending time with children, and is looking for a deeply rewarding summer experience.
Summer Farm and Gardens must:
- be available June through August
- be a minimum of 18 years old
- want to work at an educational institution with animal and plant production
- be able to work well with others and independently
- be able to provide instruction and supervise groups of children
- be able to work outside in a variety of weather conditions
- be able to communicate effectively with a diverse staff
Throughout the summer, Summer Farm and Garden Interns will:
- assist with all aspects of greenhouse and field plant production systems
- seed, transplant, weed, and irrigate crops
- help with soil building (mulching and composting)
- lead morning and afternoon work crews
- assist with community work projects
- develop and coordinate farm and garden program activities
- prepare special meals from garden produce
- harvest produce and provide produce to kitchen and help produce storage prep
- help with plant/animal record keeping
- supervise daily barn chores and garden chores
Summer Farm and Garden Interns receive a weekly stipend of $160, plus room and board
For more information, please contact Garden Manager Kim Narol at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To apply, please send a resume, cover letter, and three references to Kim Narol at email@example.com.