Camp Treetops Director
Since 1921, Camp Treetops has enriched the lives of children, ages 8 through 14, through a seven-week program offering a wide range of creative and challenging activities in a simple, unhurried, child-centered environment. Treetops is set on a 220-acre property surrounded by pristine mountain wilderness in the heart of the six-million-acre Adirondack Park, ample space to experience firsthand the beauty of rivers, lakes, and mountains. Our campus includes a lake free of motorboats, a large organic garden, and a working farm. Treetops gives children a summer unplugged—to experience the natural world, to foster meaningful relationships, and to grow in self-confidence, independence, and creativity.
Camp Treetops seeks a full-time, year-round Camp Director to oversee all aspects of the organization, while ensuring alignment with the spirit and values of the program. Treetops shares its campus and mission with North Country School (est. 1938), a junior boarding school founded with the intention of extending Camp’s philosophy to the classroom. The Camp Director reports directly to the Executive Director of Camp and School.
This position is currently open and will remain open until filled. Compensation will be based on the level of experience and knowledge of the candidate.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Engage current and prospective families and children through the enrollment and financial aid process. This includes regular communication with families, enrollment visits, and campus tours. Collaborate with in-house communications staff to develop compelling digital and print marketing collateral.
Staff Recruitment and Management
- Recruit and retain talented camp counselors and other staff. Conduct staff training sessions prior to Camp opening. Support staff success throughout the program. Provide constructive feedback and evaluations. Develop and maintain strategies to ensure a diverse staff population.
- Oversee all aspects of the program in collaboration with Junior and Senior Camp program directors, counselors, and staff. Troubleshoot as necessary while demonstrating flexibility and compassion in managing issues raised by campers or counselors.
- Lead by example and encourage all staff to understand and embrace the philosophy, mission, and values of program
- Develop and implement crisis and risk management procedures
Administration and Communications
- Engage in frequent communications with current and prospective Camp families, as well as counselors and staff, administrators, and Board of Trustees.
- Prepare quarterly reports and annual board presentations to Trustees
- Participate as a key member of the administrative leadership team for Camp Treetops and North Country School.
- Manage all aspects of Camp’s budget including approval of expenditures, financial planning, wage management for summer hires and recommending capital spending needs.
- Work collaboratively with year-round and seasonal staff to assure proper camp planning, facilities development and maintenance, and compelling Camp marketing and communications, as well as alumni engagement.
- Take advantage of professional development opportunities
- Assure compliance with accreditation standards, health department initiatives as well as more broad employment practices.
- Quickly develop an understanding of the complex systems, policies and agreements in place to help manage a very diverse institution.
- Bachelor’s degree and/or 2 years’ experience in the management of a summer camp operation
- Strong interpersonal skills, a sense of humor, excellent communication and organizational skills
- A detailed background check
- Knowledge of regulations and laws that may impact a summer camp operation
- Ability to multitask and a willingness to get their hands dirty
- Computer proficiency and Google workspace knowledge
- Experience with camp management software, like CampMinder, a plus.
To apply, or for more information, send an email to: email@example.com, or send a request via U.S. mail to: Attention: Director of Camp Treetops Search Committee, North Country School and Camp Treetops, 4382 Cascade Road, Lake Placid, NY 12946. Cover letter and resume required.
EOE Statement: WE ARE AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. Applicants and employees are considered for positions and are evaluated without regard to mental or physical disability, race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, military or veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status or any other protected Federal, State/Province or Local status unrelated to the performance of the work involved.